Sunday 16 September 2012

Horse Racing Cake!

My neighbour asked me to do a cake for her dad...for 50 people! Yikes!

With a horse racing theme to fit around, I came up with the following design.

A rich carrot cake bursting with cinnamon and nutmeg flavours, with a cream cheese filling hinted with orange. The cake had a coating of dark chocolate ganache for stability before being covered in fondant.

While the cake ended up looking more like it was for a child than a father (I think my horses are super cute!), I was nevertheless quite pleased with this one, having moved up from the plain buttercream and jam fillings.
Technique-wise, the fondant is not as super smooth as I'd like... perhaps a thicker layer of fondant is necessary? or am I not pushing all the air out? Also, the top is a little sparse, and should've had a lot more happening.
Still, I'm rather glad with this one!

1 comment:

  1. Looks really cute and professional and it sounds yummy too - carrot cake is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete